Kaisersaal Erfurt
Restaurant Clara Lutherkeller
RESTAURANTS   AT   KAISERSAAL
History

History

Here the most important historical facts of the house have been listed up for your convenience.

500 years ago the Reinboth’sche House with the privilege of brewing beer stood on this site.
1714 Johann Georg Sommer takes over the house and turns it into a ball house mainly used by the University. He is the first especially privileged to put up a billiard table in the Town. The students use the ball hall for their own theatre performances, and itinerant troupes discover the stage as a location for their performances. .
From the year 1791 the “Weimar Court Actors’ Society” give guests performances in the ball house for 5 seasons led by Johann Wolfgang Goethe.
1791 the curtain rises for the premiere performance of Schiller’s prose version of “Don Carlos”. The writer is personally present during the performance. .
1808 at the invitation of Napoleon a European Congress of Dukes takes place. Besides the Russian Czar Alexander, numerous monarchs from the Continent dwell in the Ball House. Before a “parquet floor of kings” the Comedie-Francaise offers glamorous theatre performances every evening. .
1822 The theatre hall having newly been built in 1822; famous musicians like Paganini, Clara Schumann and Franz Liszt give guest performances.
1831 The exterior and interior are newly built. The façade is given its classicist impression.
1870 due to lack of town funds theatre performances must be called off. In 1871, the hall is rebuilt as a hall for concerts and balls and henceforth has been named “Kaisersaal” after the founding of the German Empire.
1891 under the leadership of August Bebel the SPD Party convene in Erfurt passing the leading “Erfurt Programme”, and the new name “Social Democrat Party of Germany” is officially adopted.
From the year 1945 -after the Second World War – the House is run under the new name “Congress Halls”. In the middle of the sixties follows the restructuring into the House of Culture of the office equipment company Optima Erfurt and into the memorial site “Erfurt Party Day 1891”.
1982 The House must be closed for structural reasons.
The end of the eighties sees the beginning of restoring with the aim of re-opening for the 100th jubilee of the Erfurt Party Day.
1991 after the change and re-unification, comprehensive reconstruction and restoration of the “Kaisersaal” as a Centre of Culture and Congresses start.
1994 the doors open to the public as a House shining in a new, radiant light.